[openstack-helm] List of the current meeting times, and opinion on adjustment
+1 Trying to find if it is possible to have a slightly better official meeting time slot for Asian region
From: Jaesuk Ahn [mailto:bluejay.ahn at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2019 7:42 AM
To: Jean-Philippe Evrard <jean-philippe at evrard.me>
Cc: openstack-discuss at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-helm] List of the current meeting times, and opinion on adjustment
On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 12:05 AM Jean-Philippe Evrard <jean-philippe at evrard.me<mailto:jean-philippe at evrard.me>> wrote:
Sadly, there is no magic with timezones :( I am fine with your proposal though.
True, there is really no magic with timezones, especially it involves everyone in the earth.
I believe that there could be another way:
- If a conversation needs to happen "synchronously", we could use the office hours for that. The office hours are timezone alternated IIRC, but not yet "officialized" (they are not appearing in ).
- Bring conversations that need to happen asynchronously over the ML.
- Discuss/Decide things in reviews.
I do like your idea. Bringing asynchronous conversation actively to ML and reviews. If one think posting on ML or writing reviews has an equal effect as talking directly to someone in weekly irc meeting, it would give good alternative way.
I did not think of using official hours as a sort of irc meeting for people in different timezone. However, I guess it cloud be done.
That's technically totally workable globally, but it needs a change in mindset.
It's also most likely people will get less active on IRC, which will impact the way we "feel" as a community.
True, "feel" part is sometimes a very important factor for people. I think that being part of "official" activity is sometimes important not only for effective communication but also for "feeling" that I am part of community. Being able to attend "official" weekly meeting without too much effort (e.g. keep your eye open till midnight) is an weapon for me to bring more people into the community.
I suppose we can do both.
1) Trying to find if it is possible to have a slightly better official meeting time slot for Asian region
2) Discussing on more leveraging asynchronous way of communication and its effect on the community.
Thank you for the insightful feedback. :)
Jaesuk Ahn, Ph.D.
Software R&D Center, SK Telecom
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...