git.net

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[jira] [Created] (HBASE-20866) HBase 1.x scan performance degradation compared to 0.98 version


Vikas Vishwakarma created HBASE-20866:
-----------------------------------------

             Summary: HBase 1.x scan performance degradation compared to 0.98 version
                 Key: HBASE-20866
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-20866
             Project: HBase
          Issue Type: Bug
    Affects Versions: 1.3.2
            Reporter: Vikas Vishwakarma


Internally while testing 1.3 as part of migration from 0.98 to 1.3 we observed perf degradation in scan performance for phoenix queries varying from few 10's to upto 200% depending on the query being executed. We tried simple native HBase scan and there also we saw upto 40% degradation in performance when the number of column qualifiers are high (40-50+)

To identify the root cause of performance diff between 0.98 and 1.3 we carried out lot of experiments with profiling and git bisect iterations, however we were not able to identify any particular source of scan performance degradation and it looked like this is an accumulated degradation of 5-10% over various enhancements and refactoring. 

We identified few major enhancements like partialResult handling, ScannerContext with heartbeat processing, time/size limiting, RPC refactoring, etc that could have contributed to small degradation in performance which put together could be leading to large overall degradation.

One of the changes is [HBASE-11544|https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-11544] which implements partialResult handling. In ClientScanner.java the results received from server are cached on the client side by converting the result array into an ArrayList. This function gets called in a loop depending on the number of rows in the scan result. Example for ten’s of millions of rows scanned, this can be called in the order of millions of times. 

In almost all the cases 99% of the time (except for handling partial results, etc). We are just taking the resultsFromServer converting it into a ArrayList resultsToAddToCache in addResultsToList(..) and then iterating over the list again and adding it to cache in loadCache(..) as given in the code path below

In ClientScanner → loadCache(..) → getResultsToAddToCache(..) → addResultsToList(..) → 
{code:java}

loadCache() {

...

     List<Result> resultsToAddToCache =

         getResultsToAddToCache(values, callable.isHeartbeatMessage());

...

…

       for (Result rs : resultsToAddToCache) {

         rs = filterLoadedCell(rs);

         cache.add(rs);

...

       }

}


getResultsToAddToCache(..) {

..

   final boolean isBatchSet = scan != null && scan.getBatch() > 0;

   final boolean allowPartials = scan != null && scan.getAllowPartialResults();

..

   if (allowPartials || isBatchSet) {

     addResultsToList(resultsToAddToCache, resultsFromServer, 0,

       (null == resultsFromServer ? 0 : resultsFromServer.length));

     return resultsToAddToCache;

   }

...



}

 private void addResultsToList(List<Result> outputList, Result[] inputArray, int start, int end) {

   if (inputArray == null || start < 0 || end > inputArray.length) return;


   for (int i = start; i < end; i++) {

     outputList.add(inputArray[i]);

   }

 }{code}
 

It looks like we can avoid the result array to arraylist conversion (resultsFromServer --> resultsToAddToCache ) for the first case which is also the most frequent case and instead directly take the resultsFromServer and add it to the cache without converting it into ArrayList.
{code:java}
if (allowPartials || isBatchSet) {
addResultsToList(resultsToAddToCache, resultsFromServer, 0,
(null == resultsFromServer ? 0 : resultsFromServer.length));
return resultsToAddToCache;
}{code}
I have taken both these flags allowPartials and isBatchSet out in loadcahe() and I am directly adding values to scanner cache if the above condition is pass instead of coverting it into arrayList by calling getResultsToAddToCache(). For example:
{code:java}
protected void loadCache() throws IOException {
Result[] values = null;
..
final boolean isBatchSet = scan != null && scan.getBatch() > 0;
final boolean allowPartials = scan != null && scan.getAllowPartialResults();
..
for (;;) {
try {
values = call(callable, caller, scannerTimeout);
..
} catch (DoNotRetryIOException | NeedUnmanagedConnectionException e) {
..
}

if (allowPartials || isBatchSet) {  // DIRECTLY COPY values TO CACHE
if (values != null) {
for (int v=0; v<values.length; v++) {
Result rs = values[v];
....
cache.add(rs);
...
} else { // DO ALL THE REGULAR PARTIAL RESULT HANDLING ..
List<Result> resultsToAddToCache =
getResultsToAddToCache(values, callable.isHeartbeatMessage());
 for (Result rs : resultsToAddToCache) {
....
cache.add(rs);
...

}
}


{code}
 

I am seeing upto 10% improvement in scan time with these changes, sample PE execution results given below. 

|| PE (1M , 1 thread) || with addResultsToList || without addResultsToList || %improvement || 
| ScanTest | 9228 | 8448 | 9 | 
| RandomScanWithRange10Test | 393413 | 378222 | 4 | 
|RandomScanWithRange100Test | 1041860 | 980147 | 6 |

Similarly we are observing upto 10% improvement in simple native HBase scan test used internally that just scans through a large region filtering all the rows. I still have to do the phoenix query tests with this change. Posting the initial observations for feedback/comments and suggestions. 



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v7.6.3#76005)