Unfortunately, we found this to be a little tricky. We did migrations from DSE 4.8 and 5.0 to OSS 3.0.x, so you may run into additional issues. I will also say your best option may be to install a fresh cluster and stream the data. This wasn't feasible for us at the size and scale in the time frames and infrastructure restrictions we had. I will have to review my notes for more detail, but off the top of my head, for an in place migration...
* Be sure you are not using any Enterprise features like Search or Graph. Not only are there not equivalent features in open source, but theses features require proprietary classes to be in the classpath, or Cassandra will not even start up.
* By default, I think DSE uses their own custom authenticators, authorizors, and such. Make sure what you are doing has an open source equivalent.
* The DSE system keyapaces use custom replication strategies. Convert these to NTS before upgrade.
* Otherwise, follow the same processes you would do before an upgrade (repair, snapshot, etc)
* The easy part is just replacing the binaries as you would in normal upgrade. Drain and stop the existing node first. You can also do this same process in a rolling fashion to maintain availability. In our case, we were doing an in-place upgrade and reusing the same IPs
* DSE unfortunately creates a custom column in a system table that requires you to remove one (or more) system tables (peers?) to be able to start the node. You delete these system tables by removing the sstbles on disk while the node is down. This is a bit of a headache if using vnodes. As we are using vnodes, it required us to manually specify num tokens, and the specific tokens the node was responsible for in Cassandra.yaml. You have to do this before you start the node. If not using vnodes, this is simpler, but we used vnodes. Again, I'll double check my notes. Once the node is up, you can revert to your normal vnodes/num tokens settings.
* Drop DSE system tables.
I'll revert with more detail if needed.
we are migrating from DSE to open source Cassandra. if anyone has recently migrated, Can you please share their experience, steps you followed and challenges you guys faced.
we want to migrate to the same computable version in open source, can you give us version number(even with the minor version) for DSE 5.1.2
|5.1||DSE production-certified 3.10 + enhancements||3.4 + enhancements||big||m|
Thanks & Regards,