Re: Refactoring the Rust API
So it turns out this refactor isn't as disruptive as I thought and I mostly
have it working already.
The buffer/builder/list types barely change at all other than the fact that
we no longer need all those macros after moving to generics.
It really is only array.rs that is pretty much a rewrite.
Also, in my earlier email I got my dates wrong. I am aiming to have this PR
ready by Monday May 7th. The real test for me is integrating it with
DataFusion to make sure I haven't missed anything.
Here's the branch where I'm working on this:
On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Andy Grove <andygrove73@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I filed a PR to track this (https://issues.apache.org/
> jira/browse/ARROW-2521) but thought it was worth raising on the mailing
> list too.
> I am running into limitations now of the way that Array is represented as
> an enum and I am unable to implement List<List<T>> with the current design.
> When Krisztian Szucs and I were working on the initial code we had two
> different approaches and we went with this enum approach at the time
> because we weren't able to make the other approach (traits + generics) work.
> Now that I'm further along the Rust learning curve, I can make the trait +
> generic approach work and I'm currently prototyping in a separate repo, and
> it is looking good so far. I have been able to create a struct array
> containing different type fields including List<List<T>>.
> I think I'm ready to start the refactor for real in my fork. We only have
> ~1k LOC so I don't think it will take too long, but because I'm doing this
> in my spare time I am going to estimate that I will have it complete in
> just over one week, aiming for having it complete by 4/30.
> I think it's fine to continue merging small PRs in the meanwhile but I
> think we should hold off any major changes in the coming week.